illa Parma’s garden is based on the Italian gardens of the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. It is a series of interconnected rooms offering different areas to seek solitude and clear ones mind whilst wandering through controlled spaces dominated by shades of green.
When the original owner and founder of Villa Parma, Fabrizzio Crippa constructed his imposing home in 1864, he also established an equally striking garden. With the majority of the property planted under vines, Crippa masterfully interspersed the grapevines in the garden with vines on trellis; fruit, vegetable and tobacco plantings, plus mulberry, pear and chestnut trees and a vine walk. The result was an orderly yet artistic layout.
Although the vines are no longer present, today the aromatic bay trees, rose and herb gardens, topiaries, the parterre garden, mulberry and chestnut trees continue to flourish – providing an enchanting reminder of its bygone glory.